Re: Navigation question

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2007 09:51:35 -0800

On Feb 17, 10:48 am, "Tony D" <tonyisyour..._at_netscape.net> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 3:30 pm, "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ye gods. I see posts comparing SQL queries, so respond comparing SQL
> queries. Then the wind changes direction and we're not really talking
> about SQL anymore, even though we're bandying around SQL queries.
>
> I'm swithering over replying directly to the message, because it
> meanders

I was thinking it navigated, but sorry if it meandered unnecessarily. I'm still trying to get a straight answer to the question about navigation. Is there something wrong with taking information from one query, for example and using it to retrieve data in another query. The answer to this is "no" for those cases where there is user input between the two statements, but I'm still uncertain if there is something wrong with doing this when there is no such event in the midst.

> from SQL to Java to something-or-other-else to acts of the
> imagination so it's difficult (if not impossible) to form any coherent
> thread of thought through it. And yet, some of it is just so
> impressively wrong that it begs a response.

I would definitely like to know what that might be. I would like to correct anything that is inaccurate.

> What a dilemma. Maybe I'll go do something rewarding instead. Like cat
> wrangling.

Aw, come on Tony, I suspect you can help me figure out just what precisely is wrong with navigating through data. There are many, many lines of code in the world that do (and many DBMS tools too) but I know theorists think there is something wrong with it and I have not fully comprehended what that is. I'm trying to sit in your head (even if failing) so if you can move just slightly to where you can get a glimpse of my starting point, that would be helpful, I suspect. Are you able to conceptually put yourself in a database and drive around? If not, see if you can, then tell me why it is a bad thing to do this logically (via metadata & code, for example). Thanks. --dawn Received on Sat Feb 17 2007 - 18:51:35 CET

Original text of this message