Re: Universal Quantifier

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:08:13 GMT

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>> paul c wrote:

>>> Regarding irreducibility, do we not express it by our choice of p1 and
>>> p2?  Ie., what we express with a reducible p1 is extraneous?
>>
>> But one can still express that using not exists and some proper subset
>> of P.

> I think I see what you mean, will try to write it for myself - it does
> seem nice and precise to be able to say what property the irreducible
> set is by saying that a "proper" superset of it is reducible, assuming
> that's what you mean. Also would feel nice somehow, at least to me, if
> we could express table_dee and dum that way too, just trying to dot some
> i's.

That's what reducible means. If a key is reducible, some proper subset of its attributes is also a key. To say that a candidate key is irreducible simply means no such proper subset exhibits the necessary property.

The formulae we discussed earlier express that P is a superkey. The other requirement for a candidate key is irreducibility.

The proof would hold for DEE and DUM because no proper subset of any of their attributes exists. Received on Sun Jan 28 2007 - 00:08:13 CET

Original text of this message