Re: The term "theory" as in "database theory"

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 27 Jan 2007 15:38:31 -0800

dawn wrote:
> Keith H Duggar wrote:
> > What "false notion"? Please restate this "false notion"
> > clearly and /succinctly/ ...
>
> The false notion that Occam's razor (you can start with
> http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor if you need
> more explanation)

You snipped and seem to have missed or failed to realize the importance of my words. Here they are restored:

> > If you decide to use the term "Occam's razor" in your
> > statement of this "false notion" then also provide a
> > clear /succinct/ definition of the term as you
> > understand it.

Do you understand the importance of the phrase "as you understand it"? As I have said before, I choose my words very carefully. Each (as far as I can humanly achieve) has meaning, importance, and intention. Stop ignoring half of them. The request was aimed at uncovering /your notion/ of "Occam's razor" -- not wikipedia'a. Now, I ask you again to express, in your own words, the clear /succinct/ meaning of "Occam's razor" that you claim does not apply to DT.

> P.S. I apologize for ever using the term "rape," a term
> I have rarely ever used, but see that I did use it at a
> point when I was feeling exceedingly abused. Satisfied
> Keith?

Yes. Though it would have been more satisfying if you had not "felt" compelled to include a justification for your behavior. Apologies are not only about satisfying those who were offended. They are also about accepting that you made a mistake and taking responsibility for it thus providing yourself a catharsis. Throwing in justifications only weakens your catharsis.

In any case, I accept your apology.

Keith -- Fraud 6 Received on Sun Jan 28 2007 - 00:38:31 CET

Original text of this message