Re: Data modeling for a multi-company product

From: <kvnkrkptrck_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2007 08:46:17 -0800

Connecting the dots in advance: by working towards designs which do not rely on NULLs, database modelers can design schemas which more precisely and with greater robustness model their real world counterparts. Any technique which increases the precision with which database's model real world counterparts cannot be used to design databases to be less precise, more generic, and less robust.

If the ability to design products that will not precisely align with your clients' business models is seen as a perk, then certainly using NULLs should be left in your repetoire. The more the merrier, I'd say.