Re: Data modeling for a multi-company product

From: <kvnkrkptrck_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2007 07:58:46 -0800

On Jan 24, 11:19 am, "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 10:51 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24, 8:05 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > > To amplify Kevin's reply, most ERP software re-implements a majority of
> > > the functions of a dbms while ignoring those same functions when already
> > > supplied to them by the dbms. This, of course, is entirely independent
> > > of the logical data model.To expand on Bob's point, this is not limited to ERP software.
> > I've seen a variety of different kinds of applications do this.
> > I think it's mostly a combination of ignorance of the abilities
> > of the dbms or failure to recognize the value of centrally
> > managed integrity enforcement, coupled with a general
> > prejudice in favor of using one's most familiar tools, which
> > for an application programmer is typically his application
> > programming language.
>
> > MarshallApplication software companies often do not want to be dependent on a
> single database provider. Any features that they use from one DBMS
> that is not in other DBMS tools should not be used. Additionally,
> application software companies typically need to provide business rules
> processing for their end-users, as well as various reporting features,
> requiring extensive metadata within their products. Most such
> companies will consider the metadata they must collect as the source
> metadata, with any DBMS being used being one of the various places
> where they might push such metadata, as needed.
>
> My question is about modeling data and related to nullable attributes.
> I understand the arguments of those who are stuck using 3VL and are
> modeling data with a goal of having no nullable attributes. However,
> when writing software that is not just for one company, but for many,
> is it feasible or even a best practice to model without nullable
> attributes? How would the no-nulls advocates model such data if
> writing software for a software company providing application software
> to many companies (with a requirement to permit each customer to
> determine which attributes on each screen are required and which are
> not, for example)?
>
> Is the answer to this obvious and I'm just missing it? Thanks. --dawn

I know that incorporating regular exercise into fitness programs can help people using the programs live longer and healthier lives. My company is trying to build a fitness program which will deliver shorter-than-average lifespans filled with medical complications. Can someone tell me how to incorporate routine exercise into such a program?

Is the answer to this obvious and I'm just missing it? Thanks. --kevin Received on Thu Jan 25 2007 - 16:58:46 CET

Original text of this message