Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:12:23 GMT

DBMS_Plumber wrote:
> The answer "0.8 quanta" is not possible in the Date / Darwen /
> Lorentzos system, because (quoting them here - I'm the only one who's
> read the damn book, apparently) "Formally, however, time points are
> indeed points - they are indivisble, and the concept of duration
> strictly does not apply." You can't have "0.8" of a time quantum,
> because as DDL explicitly state, quantum are "indivisible".

No, I can't afford the book and the public library here seems to spend most of its money on celko books. I could read the whole book at the university library but they won't let me borrow it and I wouldn't appreciate it properly as they won't let smoke in their building. Whereas I am allowed to have a fag in the kitchen where I read this group. So my excuse is that poverty and addiction keep me out of the higher realms of discussion.

However, one of the authors makes a few comments at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Temporal_database

 From this I gather that their preferred operations operate on domains made only from intervals that are based on some practical measurement scale, not quantums nor chronons.

p Received on Sun Jan 21 2007 - 20:12:23 CET

Original text of this message