Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:22:13 GMT

paul c wrote:

> DBMS_Plumber wrote:

>>  The answer "0.8 quanta" is not possible in the Date / Darwen /
>> Lorentzos system, because (quoting them here - I'm the only one who's
>> read the damn book, apparently) "Formally, however, time points are
>> indeed points - they are indivisble, and the concept of duration
>> strictly does not apply." You can't have "0.8" of a time quantum,
>> because as DDL explicitly state, quantum are "indivisible".

Apparently the DBMS_Dumber guy cannot comprehend the difference between a duration and an interval. An interval may not have 0.8 of a time quantum, but an average duration certainly can because it is an entirely different beast. Just as total fertility is an entirely different beast from a child.

> No, I can't afford the book and the public library here seems to spend
> most of its money on celko books. I could read the whole book at the
> university library but they won't let me borrow it and I wouldn't
> appreciate it properly as they won't let smoke in their building.
> Whereas I am allowed to have a fag in the kitchen where I read this
> group. So my excuse is that poverty and addiction keep me out of the
> higher realms of discussion.

If you must self-medicate, I strongly encourage you to find a drug delivery mechanism that does less harm to yourself and to your environment. I hear endorphins are good.