Re: Ideas for World Hierarchy Example

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 14 Jan 2007 18:30:29 -0800

Bernard Peek wrote:
> Neo wrote:
> > So far, I have run into the following two formats:
> >
> > Lat: 1.2345 Long: 4.5678
> > Lat: 5^ 6' 8"N Long: 2^ 3' 4"E (^ for degree)
> >
> > Are these both cartesian?
>
> No. Both are polar coordinates. In 3D polar coordinates
> you have three values. One is the Latitude, the second is
> Longitude. The third is the radial distance from the
> centre of the sphere.

No. Neither of them are "polar coordinates" nor "3D polar coordinates". The are /spherical/ coordinates. If you plan to educate someone you should at least use standard terms. Though the rest of your post was accurate and spot on.

Now, Neo, you often ask these common, basic, and easily answerable-on-your-own questions like "are these polar coordinates?". Can you at least try to wikipeducate yourself before asking them?

Keith -- Fraud 6 Received on Mon Jan 15 2007 - 03:30:29 CET

Original text of this message