Re: Ideas for World Hierarchy Example

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2007 22:36:01 -0800

> Essentially you can locate a point in space using either polar or
> Cartesian coordinates. The fact that the two systems use different
> values for the coordinates does not mean that they can't identify the
> same point.

So far, I have run into the following two formats:

Lat: 1.2345 Long: 4.5678
Lat: 5^ 6' 8"N Long: 2^ 3' 4"E (^ for degree)

Are these both cartesian?

> The difference between a hierarchical and relational database is not in
> the data they hold, but in the route used to navigate to the data.

Here is the current path to the latitude of the position of the Golden Gate Bridge:

universe > milky way > solar system > earth > continent > north america
> usa > state > california > city > san francisco > world wonder > golden gate bridge > location > latitude > 37^ 49' 10" N

Currently the world hierarchy example stores the following (and misc info about some of them):

Planets (9)
Continents (8)
Continental Plates (14)
Countries (197)
US States & Nicknames (50)
Cities (336)
Capitals (252)
Airports & Passengers(30)
GPS Locations (151)
Major Universities (11)
Oceans (5)
Rivers & Lengths (10)
Mountains & Heights (7)
Populations (258)
Basic Elements (92)
Languages & Speakers (16)
Attractions (2)
World Wonders (10)

If any one can suggest other things to put in the hierarchy or better arrangement of the hierarchy or how to implement it using other tools, I am all ears. See www.dbfordummies.com/example/ex720.asp for downloadable db and exe (380Kb). Received on Sun Jan 14 2007 - 07:36:01 CET

Original text of this message