Re: Ideas for World Hierarchy Example

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:36:15 +0000

>I used World Hierarchy figuratively. Underlying data will actually form
>a spaghetti structure. When veiwed thru a tree view it will look
>hierarchal. When viewed thru a table it will look tabular. When view
>thru an API it will look pointeral.

Essentially you can locate a point in space using either polar or Cartesian coordinates. The fact that the two systems use different values for the coordinates does not mean that they can't identify the same point.

The difference between a hierarchical and relational database is not in the data they hold, but in the route used to navigate to the data.

--
Bernard Peek
back in search of cognoscenti