Re: Ideas for World Hierarchy Example

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:13:45 +0000

In message <87tcq2lt0i51tv4i242dcrpr0233na0hae_at_4ax.com>, Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net> writes

>>Are bookmarks really hierarchical???
>>Or do we just store them in folders as if they were hierarchical....
>>It seems to me that a bookmark is ultimately no more hierarchical than a
>>hyperlink.
>
> Bookmarks (implementation) are hierarchical with any browser I
>have used. The data that I want to store is not hierarchical, and I
>am limited by the implementation.

Bookmarks per se are not inherently hierarchical, but the metadata that we attach to them is often stored hierarchically. The physical implementation of a bookmark is a file on disk. Files are currently stored within a hieararchical filing system where the name of a folder is part of the metadata attached to every file and subfolder contained in it.

There's no reason why you can't store the file-names of bookmarks in a field in a table and then add your metadata into the record(s) referring to the bookmark in question. That would give you the option of choosing a non-hierarchical access method if you wanted one.

--
Bernard Peek
back in search of cognoscenti