Re: Databases as objects

From: Aloha Kakuikanu <aloha.kakuikanu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Dec 2006 14:54:52 -0800

kvnkrkptrck_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Perhaps the following anecdote will shed some light on the vantage
> point from which many of your responses are coming.
> The two solutions exemplify the difference made by viewing an
> application's requirements in a process-oriented light instead of a
> data-oriented light. If you have any sense that the two approaches are
> comparable and ought to be evaluated against one another in terms of
> pros-cons (e.g. the pure SQL approach runs faster but is in some sense
> inferior due to lack of code reuse), then I can see how you'd interpret
> as "rude" the ease and cavalierness with which certain cdt posters
> dismiss ignorant proposals to treat databases as objects.

This is a recurring theme on thedailywtf.com. Recent example

    Set rsStock = objConn.Execute("SELECT * FROM [Inventory]")     While Not rsStock.EOF

      If rsStock("ItemId") = intItemId Then
        Call SendItemToTransmitter(rsStock)
      End If
      rsStock.MoveNext

    Wend

This begs the question what kind of questions application programmers are asked at the interviews these days. I bet explaining what the following line of code means

Inventory |><| `ItemId=value`

is not among them. Received on Thu Dec 28 2006 - 23:54:52 CET

Original text of this message