Re: argument about encapsulating data sublanguage

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:43:53 -0800

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 28, 11:39 am, Gene Wirchenko <g..._at_ocis.net> wrote:
>> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Consider that most OOPLs, such as Java, contain a mix of notations.
>> >Both the modern OO notation "x.f(y)" and the old-fashioned math
>> >notation "x + y" are supported. But why should we continue to
>> >use such a low-level way of doing things?
>>
>> OTOH, x.f(y) is typical hierarchical chauvinism oppressing y
>> merely because it is second. Have we not grown past that? Can we not
>> have relationships between equals: x+y?
>
>But in "x+y", the y still comes second! That's not equal!

    But remember commutivity! x+y to y+x is a valid transform. x.f(y) to y.f(x) might not be.

>You have reminded me of something the hollywood movies do
>when faced with two stars of the first magnitude, and the
>problem of how to give them equal credit. One gets the
>leftmost position, and one gets the topmost position. This
>will require a 2 dimensional syntax:
>
>+y
>
>It works well, don't you think?

     For simple subexpressions, but something like
          +(a*b)
          (c*d)
no.  Maybe, I should restate that as
          + *b
          *d

I will stop at this point, or someone will take this and start a new fad of POET (Pictorially-Oriented Expression Tool).

>> >Best of all, this lets me avoid sprinkling math formulas throughout
>> >my code. Yuck! That stuff needs to be segregated off in one
>> >place, so it doesn't gum up the works like so much sand.
>>
>> Have you figured out a way to avoid sprinkling logic throughout
>> code? Many people do not seem to like logic much, and you would be
>> doing them a favour.
>
>An excellent question! I shall work on it.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.