Re: argument about encapsulating data sublanguage

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:21:57 GMT

Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OTOH, x.f(y) is typical hierarchical chauvinism oppressing y
>>>merely because it is second. Have we not grown past that? Can we not
>>>have relationships between equals: x+y?
>>
>>But in "x+y", the y still comes second! That's not equal!
>

>     But remember commutivity!  x+y to y+x is a valid transform. x.f(y)
> to y.f(x) might not be.
>

>>You have reminded me of something the hollywood movies do
>>when faced with two stars of the first magnitude, and the
>>problem of how to give them equal credit. One gets the
>>leftmost position, and one gets the topmost position. This
>>will require a 2 dimensional syntax:
>>
>>+y
>>
>>It works well, don't you think?
>

>      For simple subexpressions, but something like
>           +(a*b)
>           (c*d)
> no.  Maybe, I should restate that as
>           + *b
>           *d
> I will stop at this point, or someone will take this and start a new
> fad of POET (Pictorially-Oriented Expression Tool).

There is a limitation with this approach. What happens when three equally A-list stars show up in the same movie in comparably important roles?

I think you have to add motion with the text scrolling in reverse order just to get to three. One appears first, one appears leftmost and one appears on top.

>>>Have you figured out a way to avoid sprinkling logic throughout
>>>code? Many people do not seem to like logic much, and you would be
>>>doing them a favour.
>>
>>An excellent question! I shall work on it.
> He/She has prejudices. Received on Fri Dec 29 2006 - 00:21:57 CET

Original text of this message