Re: What Actually Causes Deadlock

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2006 13:53:27 -0800

Bob Badour wrote:

> Marshall wrote:

> >>It's been decades, but ADLD still pops to mind whenever I see a traffic
> >>or other deadlock situation. --dawn
> >
> > Advanced Delay Line Detector?
> > Attention Deficit Learning Disorder?
> > Autosomal dominant leukodystrophy?
> > Association des descendants Lejay-Demaison?
> >
> > The web is great for expanding acronyms. Doesn't always tell
> > you what you want to know, though.
>
> Now, now! You are just being difficult. You have to provide the web with
> the proper context. Search for: ADLD deadlock
>
> You will quickly learn ADLD is a "CICS" "abend" error code meaning
> "deadlock". In fact, there are a whopping 18 pages on the internet
> matching that query and most of them will explain the meaning (contrast
> with nearly 6 billion pages featuring "the".) In other words, just
> exactly the sort of esoteric jargon the clueless like to toss around to
> show they are part of some "in" crowd of knowledgeable techies when
> nothing could be further from the truth.

I was sure hoping that people would think I was in the "in" crowd--that crowd of folks in business data processing who are old enough to have written CICS COBOL IMS DL/1 code (using TSO, ISPF etc--not exactly sexy tools). Now I'm going to have to find other ways to impress Bob.

smiles. --dawn
[Of course I just thought others might remember those ADLDs and smile too, which is not what we did when we encountered them.] Received on Fri Dec 15 2006 - 22:53:27 CET

Original text of this message