Re: What Actually Causes Deadlock

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:56:02 GMT

Marshall wrote:
> On Dec 15, 7:43 am, "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>paul c wrote:
>>
>>>Back in the 1970's (and the 1960's too, I guess) every mainframe
>>>application programmer who used IBM CICS or IMS DC was aware of that
>>>terse bullet list in the wikipedia and were careful to order their
>>>accesses, whether they were to dbms, file, TP channel or abstact memory
>>>in some agreed-upon order.
>>
>>It's been decades, but ADLD still pops to mind whenever I see a traffic
>>or other deadlock situation.  --dawn

> Advanced Delay Line Detector?
> Attention Deficit Learning Disorder?
> Autosomal dominant leukodystrophy?
> Association des descendants Lejay-Demaison?
>
> The web is great for expanding acronyms. Doesn't always tell
> you what you want to know, though.

Now, now! You are just being difficult. You have to provide the web with the proper context. Search for: ADLD deadlock

You will quickly learn ADLD is a "CICS" "abend" error code meaning "deadlock". In fact, there are a whopping 18 pages on the internet matching that query and most of them will explain the meaning (contrast with nearly 6 billion pages featuring "the".) In other words, just exactly the sort of esoteric jargon the clueless like to toss around to show they are part of some "in" crowd of knowledgeable techies when nothing could be further from the truth.

It would be like someone waxing poetic about all the TAX on the Commodore Pet computer or the relative caché of the 0E trap vs. the 0D trap when it comes to fatal exceptions in windows.

See also: "buzzword compliance" Received on Fri Dec 15 2006 - 18:56:02 CET

Original text of this message