Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: David <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: 15 Dec 2006 15:40:53 -0800

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> "David" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >As it turns out I've made significant progress in the OT approach - and
> >I believe the case is compelling. My solution is fast, simple, very
> >efficient and highly scalable. I haven't published any of these
> >results and I don't mind (nor am I surprised) if you don't believe me.
> >
> >If you think the prior work proves me wrong then please summarise the
> >argument or cite the relevant material. Don't be like Bob and
> >reference an entire book. That is rude and makes me wonder whether Bob
> >actually has a specific argument at all.
>
> The burden of proof is on you. You are making the assertion that
> your system is better. Prove it. Why should we do your work for you?

I basically agree with you.

The claim I want comment on (other than a simple "no") is : For all problems (or at least a very large class of problems), all mutative work can be fine grained and avoid CPU intensive work.

This is universally quantified and therefore difficult to prove, but easy to contradict if a counter example can be found.

Furthermore, my expertise is in systems programming, not in application modelling, so it seemed wise to get an opinion from this newsgroup. That seems to have been a mistake...

Cheers,
David Received on Sat Dec 16 2006 - 00:40:53 CET

Original text of this message