Re: Hierarchal vs Non-Hierarchal Interfaces to Biological Taxonomy

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2006 10:01:11 -0800

> here is a Human Cytogenetic Map (i.e., of the bands in human
> chromosomes resulting from a widely-used diagnostic staining agent):
> (HumanCytoMap(1(1p(1p3(1p36(1p36.3...(Xq27.1,Xq27.2,Xq27.3)))),Y))
> This will give you a large example to work with... Can you parse...

Looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. What is each "node"? A gene? A chromosone? A Band? What would be an appropriate name for the relationship between 1 and 1p? Can I treat 1p36.3 as one node or does the decimal encode a relationship between nodes 1p36 and 3?

> ... let me know and I'll send you the file as an email attachment.

Could you email it to neo55592_at_hotmail.com , just incase? Thx :)

> Can you parse this tree (from one of Celko's examples)?: > (Albert(Bert,Chuck(Donna,Eddie,Fred)))

Is it equivalent to:

Albert

   Bert
   Chuck

       Donna
       Eddie
       Fred

If so, below I parsed it manually. I have assumed a parent/child relationship.

(new 'albert 'person)
(new 'bert 'person)
(new 'chuck 'person)
(new 'donna 'person)
(new 'eddie 'person)
(new 'fred 'person)

(; Create hierarchy consisting of alberts chlidren)
(; Note that child is part of system data)
(set albert child bert)
(set albert child chuck)
(set chuck child donna)
(set chuck child eddie)
(set chuck child fred)

(; Get chuck's children)
(; Gets donna, eddie and fred)
(get chuck child *)

(; Get albert's children)
(; Gets bert, chuck, donna, eddie, fred)
(getRel albert child *)

(; Get fred's parent)
(; Gets chuck)
(get * child fred)