Re: vehicle to autoparts relationships

From: Jeff Smeker <rationalrepairs_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2006 17:18:17 -0800

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me...

All things are parts (cars, sections, parts) Any part can be a parent
Any part can be a child
Every part can have supplier information (i.e. multiple suppliers, different supplier part numbers)

P1 - Small Car
 P2 - Engine, Version 1
  P3 - Starter
    P4 - Bolt M6
 P16 - Body Assembly
  P27 - Some sheet metal part

P39 - Mid Size Car
 P67 - Engine, Version 2
  P3 - Starter
   P92 - Bolt M10

Two primary tables are required for the above. Parts table, and a linking table. An example of the linking table using the data above:

Parent_Part Child_Part

P1                 P2
P1                 P16
P39               P67