Re: Multi Core hardware and the RDBMS

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Oct 2006 02:06:27 -0700

BobTheDataBaseBoy wrote:
> Haven't seen the topic, so here goes.
>
> What adverse impact can be seen to the future of the Relational/SQL
> database from the implications of multi-core chips and the resulting
> parallelism?

There's a whole body of research on how DBMSs can benefit from that architecture and increase internal parallelism and be less of a bottleneck.

> I've only just begun to chew on the question, but from the perspective
> of coders (java for me), there is the realization that applications now
> have to deal with multi-threading even if the application itself doesn't
> attempt to do so directly.

One of the main purposes of real DBMSs has always been to deal with many concurrent accesses. Whether they are by the same application / thread or by different application / thread does not really change the nature of the problem that much.

> Is my sphincter spasming for no good reason?

Technically, yes, for no good reason, but it wouldn't be the first time that a wrong idea based on a superficial understanding of DBMS technology took hold anyway and made the life of many application developers a lot harder. So better keep this thread short so nobody gets some crazy idea for a new "revolutionary" DBMS paradigm. :-)