Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Oct 2006 01:51:46 -0700

Hugo Kornelis wrote:

> For mathematicians, it is. The domain of integers is a subdomain of the
> domain of real numbers - each integer is also a real number. So the
> integer value 2 IS the real value 2.0.

Hmm, as VC already pointed out, that is not necessarily exactly true.

> IMO, that has nothing to do with theory. It's just the result of a
> shortcoming in what we can presently achieve with computers. Obviously,
> correctly representing a real value is still impossible.

Did you mean 'real' as in 'the real numbers'? Of course we can represent correctly some real numbers, but not all of them, because that set has a larger cardinality than the set of natural numbers. But all recursive ones, we can, and that's quite a large set. :-)

  • Jan Hidders