Multi Core hardware and the RDBMS

From: BobTheDataBaseBoy <"xxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:30:31 -0400

Haven't seen the topic, so here goes.

What adverse impact can be seen to the future of the Relational/SQL database from the implications of multi-core chips and the resulting parallelism?

I've only just begun to chew on the question, but from the perspective of coders (java for me), there is the realization that applications now have to deal with multi-threading even if the application itself doesn't attempt to do so directly.

One (possible) implication is that the notion of client control of the data store will reascend, darn it. The reason being that applications will of necessity be multi-threaded in order to avail themselves of increasing cycles (no longer in one ever more powerful CPU) and thus implement distributed logic in multiple (identical, replicated) clients.   In such a Brave New World, the notion of central control of anything, in particular the data store, diminishes. We may be looking at a CICS/VSAM world just because.

Is my sphincter spasming for no good reason? Or need we all brush up on our file I/O skills? Received on Fri Oct 13 2006 - 04:30:31 CEST

Original text of this message