From: Phil Carmody <>
Date: 23 Sep 2006 20:05:55 +0300

"vc" <> writes:
> Phil Carmody wrote:
> > writes:
> > > the Median is the value which minimize the sum of absolute differences
> > >
> > > ie. sum | xi - c | is minimum for c = MEDIAN()
> >
> > If I were Bob Silverman, you'd get one heck of a flaming for
> > posting something so obviously somewhere in between unintelligible
> > and meaningless (including both endpoints) to sci.math.
> Are saying that the median does not have the property that it minimizes
> the sum of absolute deviations ?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the property does not always uniquely define a median ("*the* value", emphasis mine), and therefore cannot be used as the definition therefor. There are some sets, such as {0, 1}, where every value between 0 and 1 (including both endpoints) is minimum.

I thought I dropped enough of a hint in my prior post, obviously not.

"Home taping is killing big business profits. We left this side blank
so you can help." -- Dead Kennedys, written upon the B-side of tapes of
/In God We Trust, Inc./.