From: Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 23 Sep 2006 23:01:20 +0300

"vc" <boston103_at_hotmail.com> writes:
> Phil Carmody wrote:

> > > Are saying that the median does not have the property that it minimizes
> > > the sum of absolute deviations ?
> >
> > I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the property does not always
> > uniquely define a median ("*the* value", emphasis mine), and therefore
> > cannot be used as the definition therefor.
>
> So what definition does define a median uniquely ?

When someone points out a flaw in a kook's proof of FLT, it is not his responsibility to also provide a valid proof.

> >There are some sets, such
> > as {0, 1}, where every value between 0 and 1 (including both endpoints)
> > is minimum.
>
> That does not make much sense and depends, at least, on what you
> mean by {0, 1}. Assuming 0 and 1 are integers, there is no "every
> value between 0 and 1".

You really are out of your depth xposting to sci.math if you're going to say vacuous things like that. Re-read what I wrote, and what you wrote. A handy hint is that 0+2=2, HTH.

Phil

--
"Home taping is killing big business profits. We left this side blank
so you can help." -- Dead Kennedys, written upon the B-side of tapes of