From: William Hughes <wpihughes_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2006 21:19:05 -0700

Marshall wrote:
> William Hughes wrote:
> > Marshall wrote:

> > > I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
> > >

> > I will try again.
> >
> > The question is "can we talk about functions
> > being idempotent". There are two possibities.
> >

> > 1. f:A,A->A -- we can talk about idempotent functions
> > but this restricts the functions we can get.
> >
> > 2. f:A,B->B -- we can not talk about idempotent functions,
> > but there is no restriction on the functions
> > we can get.
> >
> > Now you want to get the no restriction from case 2 and the
> > idempotent from case 1 by letting A=B. This does not work
> > If you let A=B then you are back to case 1.

> Well, sure. The set of functions that belong to case 1
> is a subset of the functions that belong to case 2.
> I have no idea what you mean by "this does not work."
>

> > You only get the no restriction if B is allowed to
> > be something other than A.
>

> And if you have a final expression that can use zero
> or more expressions of type 2 above.
>

> > > Anyway, A, B -> B as the most general type of a
> > > the first argument to fold is not my formulation; it's
> > > been around for a long time.
> >
> > However, the term idempotent does not appy here
> > so I fail to see the relevence.
>

> I understood your first paragraph to mean that you
> thought I had made up the A, B -> B type on the
> spot to escape some recently-uncovered "flaw" in the
> A, A -> A form, when in fact the use of both forms
> are probably decades old.
>

> > > I would prove that with
> > > a Google search, but alas! Google throws away most
> > > punctuation, and the first hit for "A, B -> B" is "The
> > > Official BB King Website."

> > > No; I wouldn't call it binary unless A = B. But is this question
> > > really important? Boy you are really hung up on nomenclature. :-)
> > >

> > The question is only important if you make the claim that
> > you can talk about idempotence whenever you have a binary
> > function. If you agree that you can only talk about
> > idempotence when you have a function f:A^2->A, then
> > the question of what you call a binary function is
> > of very limited interest.
>

> I would say the question of what *I* call a binary function
> is of very limited interest, regardless, even to me. Definitions
> are somewhat boring. In any event, I was under the impression
> that we both agree that idempotence only applies to functions
> of type A, A -> A, in which case, what are we discussing again?

The question posed by the title of this thread "are idempotence and replication insensitivity equivalent?". Since idempotence only applies to functions of the type A,A->A we get that idempotence only applies to a restricted set of functions on M(A). Since this restricted set does not include all the functions we would like to apply the term "replication insensitive" to, I would conclude that the terms "idempotent" and "replication insensitive" are not equivalent.

  • William Hughes