From: William Hughes <wpihughes_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2006 20:05:22 -0700

Marshall wrote:
> [...]
> > > insensitive" functions were equivalent to the set of aggregate functions
> > > that are defined by idempotent binary functions.
> >
> > And as pointed out, only a subclass of functions on M(A)
> > (henceforth turquoise functions) can be definied by binary
> > functions.

> Sure. Of course, my formulation of aggregates is not limited
> just to binary functions.
>

> Recall:
>

> Type 1:
> f : (A, B -> B)
> e: B
> creates an aggregate of type
> {A} -> B
>

> (A, B not necessarily distinct.)
>

> Type 1b:
> f: (A, A -> A)
> creates an aggregate of type
> {A} -> A
>

> Type 2:
> an arbitrary expression that may include terms of type 1.
>

> (Alternatively you could think of type 1 being simply the case
> of type 2 where the arbitrary expression is the identity function.)
>

> > Marshall's comments can only apply to this
> > subset [whether the subset should be called the aggregate
> > functions is a different issue].
>

> Well, at this point I've lost track of which comments you're
> referring to. The conversation is getting long.
>

> > > First, I came up with a way fo defining aggregate functions from binary
> > > functions that I thought was sufficient. For the functions I defined,
> > > it *is* true that replication sensitivity is equivalent to idempotence
> > > of a binary generating function. However, it turns out that the
> > > functions I initially defined don't include everything that's commonly
> > > called an aggregate function.
> > >

> > And more importantly does not include commonly used
> > turqoise functions (i.e. median)
> >
> > > So I then made a second attempt to define aggregate functions. Marshall
> > > also made an attempt, which I believe is equivalent to my second
> > > attempt.
> >
> > Well, it is less than clear that this second attempt does include
> > functions such as the median,you need to be much more
> > careful with your definition of the range and domain of g.
> > (g: A^2 -> A doesn't work).
>

> A, A -> A is indeed too restrictive. A, B -> B is the most
> general form. But you also need the final function, if you
> want to address even such relatively simple aggregates
> as avg().
>

> > But note, it only makes sense
> > to talk about idempotence for g:A^2->A.
>

> Agreed.
>

> > So you can either
> > restrict g and thus the class of turquoise functions that
> > you are dealing with, and retain the notion of idempotence,
> > or you can use a more general g, and abandon idempotence.
> > You cannot apply the concept of idempotence to a larger
> > class of turquoise functions by changing the definition of g.
>

> I don't see why not. If you have a type A, B -> B, you can
> still talk about idempotence. It just implies that A = B.

This is silly. I have a function f:A,A->A, but this is too restrictive so I will change this to a function f:A,B->B, but now I want to talk about idempotence so I will let A=B, so I have a function f:A,A->A but this is too restrictive so ...

                                   -William Hughes

> > >This second attempt does seem to include all interesting
> > > aggregate functions,
>

> In fact, I think it includes all computable functions.
>

> > > but I believe that one of the possible definitions
> > > of your NOR function is a counter-example to the equivalence of binary
> > > idempotence and replication insensitivity. Specifically, that
> > > equivalence is only true when x_0 (which Marshall calls e) is an
> > > identity for the binary function.
>

> Ah! Rereading this, I think I get it. For example:
>

> f = OR
> e = T
>

> f is idempotent, but the resulting aggregate will be
> duplication-insensitive,
> because it is in fact the constant function T. So in the form of the
> fold where you supply a starting value, the starting value has to
> be an identity for f. (Which it is in the common cases, but it isn't
> a requirement.)
>

> > > We have been talking about (and even proving) statements about both of
> > > these two mathematical structures. The only ambiguity relates to which
> > > best captures the very imprecise discussion that was going on before.
> > > For example, early in this thread, Marshall wrote "If the binary form of
> > > the aggregate function is idempotent, the aggregate will return the same
> > > value even if values are repeated arbitrarily." -- and that initially
> > > raised the question of what is meant by the binary form of an aggregate
> > > function. Unfortunately, mathematics has no answer to the question of
> > > what Marshall meant when he wrote "the binary form of the aggregate
> > > function", so that's why the conversation isn't so cut and dry.
> > >

> > No, but I see no chance of a definition that will allow all
> > interesting turquoise functions to be generated by binary forms
> > without torturing the term "binary form" beyond endurance.
> > [E.g. you could define a binary form to be a function
> > g: M(A) x A -> M(A), but in this case g takes an arbitrary
> > number of elements of A, so calling it a binary form
> > is stretching things]
>

> I also wouldn't call your g above a binary function. However
> you *can* have this:

> f(a, S) = {a} union S

Have I got this straight.

S can contain an arbitrary number of elements of A, so f(a,S) takes an arbitrary number of elements of A, but f is despite this a binary form?

                         -William Hughes