Re: Resiliency To New Data Requirements

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2006 18:32:54 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
>
> > All that remains is the matter of filling in the details.
>
> Indeed. One can keep filling in the details forever thinking one is
> making wonderful progress. That is until Goedel comes along and spoils
> the party by telling one that one will never reach a destination.

That Goedel guy is a bastard. Other party poopers include Russel and Girard with their paradoxes. <mutter>Think they're so smart.</mutter>

> Some of
> > the first details that should be filled in would be a specification
> > of what exactly "generality" means with regards to "representing"
> > "things." Until there *is* such a specification, I assert that the
> > particular task you are trying to solve is unspecified.
>
> A far more important question to ask is: What does it do? A
> representation is not worth much if it doesn't do much.

Indeed. I might be somewhat bold and propose there is a canonical order in which the issues seem to get addressed. Structure first, then querying, then manipulation, then integrity. Most do not get past the first step.

Marshall Received on Mon Aug 07 2006 - 03:32:54 CEST

Original text of this message