Re: Resiliency To New Data Requirements

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 6 Aug 2006 19:33:10 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Marshall wrote:

> >>That task has been to find the most general method of representing
> >>things.
> >
> > Answering that question is easy. The most general method of
> > representing things is to use bits.
>
> There is a more general method, which is to use sets. See formalism as a
> foundation of mathematics.
>
> {} is the canonical set with zero elements and represents zero or false
> {{}} is the canonical set with one element and represents one or true
> {{},{{}}} is the canonical set with two elements etc.

I would have said the "most general way of representing things" is a sequence of symbols from an alphabet. Of which {}, {{}}, {{}{{}}}, along with the characters I'm using now to represent English, predicate logic, etc are all examples. If you limit the alphabet to only two symbols 0 and 1 then you have binary sequences.

  • Keith -- Fraud 6