Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <onurb_at_xiludom.gro>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:12:03 +0200

topmind wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>

>>Bob Badour wrote:

>>>And your point would be? You seem to be trying to make a claim about
>>>computing science, but you measure that by the properties of industry
>>>practice. Given that many of us think the state of the industry is
>>>appalling and characterized mostly by ignorance, misconception and
>>>anti-intellectualism, you won't convince many of us with that sort of
>>>non sequitur.
>>
>>Bob,
>>
>>"topmind" is our pet crank here on comp.object. He has a great record of
>>asserting things without being able to back them with anything else than
>>"I don't know why but it is so"

> This is bull. The only thing I said that about is why change patterns
> happen a certain way in biz apps.

May I quote ?
"""
(-T-) I just want something that helps *my* domain.

(BD) Why do you think the same technical problem would require a different technical solution according to the domain ?

(-T-) Are you asking why OO techniques that apply for one domain don't apply for another? That is a very good question. I don't know why, it just does.
""""
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.object/msg/159be5dce37fe314

(snip blah)

>>, then challenging the others to prove
>>him wrong, then dismissing answers as either "lab example" (implied :
>>can't work in real life)

> Perhaps you have been guilty of using a lab example where it was not
> appropriate

blah blah.

>>or "irrelevant to it's own 'niche'" (which is
>>defined as "custom biz apps", whatever this may mean).

> So? X being good at domain Y does not automatically mean it will be
> good in domain Z.

Why do you think the same technical problem would require a different technical solution according to the domain ?

Don't bother answering, you already did : "I don't know why, it just does."

>>FWIW, he admitted
>>believing RM was "a brass-bullet" (while not believing in silver-bullet...)

> Is this a sin?

How about unicorns ?

--
bruno desthuilliers
python -c "print '_at_'.join(['.'.join([w[::-1] for w in p.split('.')]) for