Re: I think that relational DBs are dead. See link to my article inside

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2006 09:07:44 -0700

Dmitry Shuklin wrote:
> Hi Cimode,
>
> > No. I meant how do you deal with missing data? What for instance if
> > you have 3 trillions neurons that have a property stored and 1 trillion
> > neurons that do not have any value stored for that property (ex:
> > wavelength). How do you handle their counting? How do you count
> > number of neurons when applying wavelength search criteria? What kind
> > of logic do you apply? 2VL or 3VL?
>
> I understand. This is completly non neural problem. But for business
> aplications it is very important question. select count(*) or select
> count (field)
You mean that you don't need to count neurons in a scientific purpose? How do you record scientfic observations you will make. How are you going to do statistical analysis? For a system built for scientific purpose, it seems strange to me...

> I think that SQL implementation is well. count (*) returns 3 and count
> (field) should return 2. But, as I said before, I dont support
> declarative queries, so this question is completly open and should be
> resolved by developer, as he wish.
Understood. Received on Thu Jul 06 2006 - 18:07:44 CEST

Original text of this message