Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 00:32:28 -0500

On 2006-06-27 13:04:56 -0500, "George" <george99may_at_gmail.com> said:

>> "OO is a computational model and not
>> a paradigm unless by 'paradigm' one means an example of
>> a computational model" is an awesome sentence.

The word "Paradigm" means "Pattern". There is certainly a pattern of coding involved with OO.

OO is not exactly a computational model, rather it is a model (which, by the way, is another synonym for "paradigm") for computational *structure*. For example, if I write a bubble sort in procedural C and in OO C++ the algorithm will be exactly the same, but the structure of the algorithm will have some significant differences.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com