Re: What databases have taught me

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 18:39:47 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:

> I think the focus on structure to the exclusion of manipulation is a
> mistake.

And yet, people make that mistake again and again and again. The focus is on the easy part: structure. It is just like when people get in to language design and focus almost entirely on syntax, to the exclusion of the more important semantic issues.

It's kind of an elixir thing, isn't it? Focusing on the easy part relieves you of the burden of thinking about the difficult questions of integrity and manipulation. That must be a good thing, right? I mean, if you had to come up with a query mechanism that could handle arbitrary ad hoc queries as simply as even SQL can, wouldn't that, like, totally harsh the buzz you got from reintroducing nested structures?

Marshall Received on Sat Jun 24 2006 - 03:39:47 CEST

Original text of this message