Re: What databases have taught me

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 18:44:38 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:

> Would (R AND x = 1 AND y = 2) = (x = 1 AND y = 2 AND R) ?

I'd think it would have to, wouldn't it? Assuming = binds with higher precedence than AND in the above syntax, and assuming AND is associative and commutative, which I would hope it would be. It is in the Tropashko algebra.

> If so, wouldn't that make name resolution kinda complicated and perhaps
> error-prone?

I don't see any obvious complications to name resolution, but then I might be mising what you're getting at. As to error-prone, (assuming we are talking about the progammer writing the above code) yes, it might be, especially at first. I would expect to address that issue with coding conventions and possibly syntactic support. It's hard to say how much of an issue that will be without field experiece. (Which I don't have with this question.)

Marshall Received on Sat Jun 24 2006 - 03:44:38 CEST

Original text of this message