Re: Named Mistakes and Questionable Practices

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 13 Jun 2006 08:25:12 -0700

paul c wrote:
>>Personally, I wouldn't look to an 'industry standard code list' unless it was an explicit biz requirement, specified by the user/customer. <<

I strongly disagree with that viewpoint. If you were a doctor, would you only prescribe medicine the patient asked for? Of course not! Your duty as a professional is to be aware of industry standards, legal requirements and all that jazz. Not to know them in detail or be a domain expert, but to know enough to ask the right questions.

In fact, a friend of mine left a client who did not want to follow legal requirements on the grounds that he was paying Leo and the police authorities were not. This was not a convincing argument :)

One of the major advantages of industry standard codes is that I can get them from external sources -- ZIP code tapes from the USPS, NIAC code from the Department of Labor, UPC from UCC, etc. -- and not have to maintain them myself. I had much rather load a tape or a CD once or twice a year (at most) than constantly reviewing them. Received on Tue Jun 13 2006 - 10:25:12 CDT