From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:30:53 +0300

"Robert Martin" <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote in message news:2006061312163727544-unclebob_at_objectmentorcom...
> On 2006-06-02 01:18:35 +0200, "Mikito Harakiri"
> <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com> said:
>
> >> An application should have its SQL statements in only a few modules,
and
> >> all others should be SQL-free.
> >
> > Why? The SQL statements should be included into those modules that
> > query/modify information from database. Would it be a few or many
> > entirely depends on the application functionality.

> Functionality can be split between many modules. Given a particular
> functionality, part of it will be SQL related, and part of it will not.
> We would like those two parts to be separated at the source code
> level, with the dependencies pointing AWAY from the SQL modules.

You can isolate SQL and its functionality in a module, but the interface will still be dependent of the functionality of SQL if you want to benefit from it, I guess.

>This allows us to change out the data management technology (if not the
> theory), and also test the application code without running the DB.

How ? The replacement will have to provide the same functionality - use cases or SQL like engine. Received on Tue Jun 13 2006 - 14:30:53 CEST

Original text of this message