From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 09:02:16 -0400

Erwin wrote:

>> But I won't be discussing it with Bob because he plonked me on my first
>> post after returning from a haitus.

> What is "plonking someone" ?

You program your newsreader to make their posts invisible. Bob doesn't see what I write unless somebody he has not filtered responds to me and quotes the text. I share that distinction with at least 50% of the regular posters to the group, perhaps at this point even more.

As for etymology, when Bob filters somebody, we say that person is in his "killfile". Pretending the killfile is a physical object like a wastebin, "plonk" is the sound made when somebody is dropped into the file.

The reason I enjoy CDT is that the traffic is not high enough to make a killfile a necessity. There are no active trolls or spoilers here, so you can just skip posts that aren't interesting. A killfile in c.d.t strongly suggests a sociopath.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.