Re: Possible bridges between OO programming proponents and relational model

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2006 08:32:17 -0700

x wrote:
> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Cimode wrote:
>

> > > //A SQL table with three attributes is always three dimensional
> > > independently of how it is implemented.//
> > >
> > > At logical level yes but not at physical level.
>
> > At any level, Cimode. If you don't mean to refer to the SQL table, then
> > refer to something else that you do mean. *Any triplet, though,
> > represents three dimensions.*
>
> Huh ?!?
>
> > > //<<I suppose that you know how to represent a cube with a table.>> It
> > > is
> > > an analogy used for communication's sake. You misread and
> > > misunderstood my comment. I said that a face of a cube is
> > > bidimensional and is a comparable to what a SQL Table is to a relvar.
>
> > And any representation of a face of a cube is *bidimensional*. However,
> > any representation of the cube is three dimensional, or it no longer
> > represents a cube. Don't confuse the projection of a cube with a cube.
>
> I would say that given the fact that the cube is 3D, the face coordinates
> are triplets.

The cube is a perfect example of tridimensional. Each point in the cube can be referenced trough a 3 point coordinate system. Now, each face is bidimensional and each point can be referenced through both a 2 point coordinate system AND a 3 point coordinate system. What changes is only the referential and origin. Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 17:32:17 CEST

Original text of this message