From: JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R_at_gte.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 14:52:30 GMT

On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:09:02 +0100, Andrew McDonagh <news_at_andmc.com> wrote:
>> The heart of the system is the data.
>
>Wrong - the heart of the system is information, not data.

Maybe there's more than one heart in play?

The computer-based system has a heart, and the realworld-based system has another heart. Or maybe one is a liver, don't want to overload the metaphors, do we?

The semantics of the data are complex, dictate the form of a relational model, and are mostly or entirely captured there - as part of a well-architected system.

But in some sense the applications code "makes it go", the model just sits there smiling and happy until someone calls on it.

Yeah, don't overload the metaphors, I guess is the bottom line.

J. Received on Sat Jun 03 2006 - 16:52:30 CEST

Original text of this message