Re: Possible bridges between OO programming proponents and relational model

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Jun 2006 06:27:53 -0700

Thank you for your feedback.

<< This does not make any sense, the dimension of a relvar is the number
 of attributes.>>Absolutely. but SQL table implementations are not relvar, just a possible representation of a relvar. Commonly implemented SQL DBMS Tables are bidimensional.

<< The only way to do this is to force all logical tables to have two  attributes.>>Why is that? What sources makes you believe that? (Curious about that assertion) Are you refering to Transrelational Model?

<<I suppose that you know how to represent a cube with a table.>> It is an analogy used for communication's sake. You misread and misunderstood my comment. I said that a face of a cube is bidimensional and is a comparable to what a SQL Table is to a relvar. (the relvar being a 3 dimensional relvar). This analogy has been used by DATE and PASCAL and I find it very valid.

<<Are you suggesting that the memory is less physical than the disk?>>Interesting question but the answer is obviously no. The argument here is about getting better independence *progressively* through thinking as to how in-memory representation of relvar could be more truthful to what a relvar . The question is whether OO in-memory mechanisms could support such effort. And how?