Re: Possible bridges between OO programming proponents and relational model

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2006 18:29:09 -0700

Cimode ha escrito:

> One of the main current flaws of current SQL DBMS systems is their
> incapability to implement the multidimensionality of relvars.

This does not make any sense, the dimension of a relvar is the number of attributes.

> The main
> reason seems to be the lack of independence between the physical layer
> and logical layer the represent the data. In several DBMS tuples are
> right away on disk projections imposing that all tables are considered
> bidimensional.

The only way to do this is to force all logical tables to have two attributes.

> In fact, it should not be the case because a
> bidimensional RTable is only a *representation* of some entity. An
> interesting analogy that may help communication, is Rubi's Cube (3
> dimensional): looking at one face of the cube it's only one possible
> representation of the cube (being the relvar)

I suppose that you know how to represent a cube with a table.

> some insight (flamers please refrain) onto how OO mechanism may help
> separate the logical operation (in memory) from physical layer...

Are you suggesting that the memory is less physical than the disk?

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sat Jun 03 2006 - 03:29:09 CEST

Original text of this message