From: Phlip <phlipcpp_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:31:01 GMT

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> I don't challenge your goal, but relational model abstractions are too
> sophisticated to give up to such primitive methods. Striving to make
> your application database agnostic results in the flaws which expose
> designers data management ignorance.

I didn't say to make the database agnostic. That would be an interface as wide as the database itself. I implied to give the application narrow interfaces. An application-specific interface can indulge in conveniences, such as declining to accept most of the different datatypes that professional DBs accept. Simple applications would need int, currency, and string, for example.

So generic, 3rd party systems like databases have wide interfaces, and modules within a program have narrow ones. And the source code to a big DB must follow this rule, too!

--
  Phlip