From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 16:18:35 -0700

phlip wrote:
> Mikito Harakiri wrote:
>
> > Assertion alone is worthless without solid method that supports it.
>
> Be prepared to respond with whatever solid method you used to support your
> own current technique. ;-)
>
> > And
> > what method OO propellerheads suggest? OR mappers (which essentially
> > are reincarnated OODBMS)? What I am supposed to learn 20 something
> > ad-hock mapping types instead of 6 clean relational operators? Or worse
> > yet, some "pattern"?
>
> An application should have its SQL statements in only a few modules, and
> all others should be SQL-free.

Why? The SQL statements should be included into those modules that query/modify information from database. Would it be a few or many entirely depends on the application functionality.

> Note in my statement, you can replace SQL with GUI, XML, ORB, etc, to
> generally the same effect. The point of modules is to isolate and
> encapsulate.

I don't challenge your goal, but relational model abstractions are too sophisticated to give up to such primitive methods. Striving to make your application database agnostic results in the flaws which expose designers data management ignorance. Received on Fri Jun 02 2006 - 01:18:35 CEST

Original text of this message