From: CMCC <c_jackal_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 11:41:52 -0700

Marshall wrote:
> CMCC wrote:
>
> [scanning back through the thread ...]
>
> Okay, maybe you are asking about this:
>
> >No, a DBMS is a bucket of bits with some low level rules to manage
> >those bits. An OO application provides the beavior that the customer
> >wants to see. We can completely eliminate the DBMS and replace it with
> >another of an entirely different form (non Relational for example) and
> >still have all the business behavior we need.
> >The people who sell databases have sold you, and the industry, a
> >misconception: that the database is the heart of the system. This is
> >flawed. The heart of the system is the application code. The database
> >is a detail to be decided at the last possible moment and kept in a
> >position so flexible that it can be swapped out for another at a whim.
>

> The reason why you see crap like this is because it is being
> written by application developers.

As an application developer I don't recognize myself in it.

 Application developers are
> great at writing applications,

Not all of them. The ones who recognize themselfs in the above and like to work with *data storages* can not be.

 but once they have success in
> that one area, they overgeneralize and begin to believe that
> their techniques are the correct techniques to apply to every
> software development area. However this represents a
> multi-decade regression in the field of data management.
>
> Data management in the 1960s lacked any understanding
> of the issues that the field has today. And if the application
> programmers have their way, and the existing field of
> data management is discarded, those same application
> programmers will face all the same problems that the
> programmers of the 1960s did, over again. And over
> the decades, they'll build systems that tackle questions
> like integrity enforcement, ad hoc queries, transaction
> management, etc. Slowly, they will reinvent the field.

I agree with this, being also aware of the historical perspective.

> And, if they do so, it would be poetic justice if the
> programmers being born today trash all their work
> in favor of some new fad.

I try to hope the next generation wil get it right, but i think a new fads will replace the ones we have now.

I'm waiting for Dynamic Hyperoriented XML (or.. is it alrady here?)

(I was not ignoring you... i think we simply agree) Regards,
Carlos Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 20:41:52 CEST

Original text of this message