From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 02:48:03 -0700

Thanks for the guidance...I will keep in mind your advice to give more targetted questions...The subject would be to find out how and what OO mechanisms (nice definition) can contribute to build better implementations of relational requirements throughout the system life cycle...

Questions I would like to discuss are of the following type:

> What are the available OO languages that can do a better job than SQL into handling data definition and manipulation...Java?
> What are the limitations of these languages to do what's above? What's currently missing in OO (Is object "persistence" a desperate attempt at establishing representations of R Tables)

My point is to help establish a practical list of feature (some kind of Bill of Material) of important requirements OO languages should meet to be potential candidates to better allow relational implementation. I do believe this kind of debate can be more useful that raw opposition between programmers and relational advocates. As you stated, OO can in no case be put on the same standpoint than relational model as they are of totally different nature...In a schematic manner, it seems OO is more about implementation than abstraction only a model can bring. It also seems to me OO mechanisms could do as well as current SQL (at least its current form) into implementing better DBMS... Question is how?

Thank you for helping into that direction... Here is the thread

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.theory/browse_thread/thread/54e82593b205a2a8