From: Erwin <e.smout_at_myonline.be>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 02:58:43 -0700

> It is strange to hear talks about identity from RM side. I thought RM
> overcame that disease. There is no identity. Files are same, neither is
> real. Paths aren't same. Identity is a relation, isn't it? Now if you'd
> consider objects like (path,file), these could have identity defined as
> id((path,file))=path.

In the sense that "identity" refers to "the quality of being identical", there is of course nothing strange in the RM crowd using that term.

Note that "being identical" requires two things, for else equality between them cannot be measured/observed/tested.

Note further that the OO crowd always uses the term with respect to one single thing ("the identity of an object").

The OO crowd thus never uses that term in the "relational" sense of the word. Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 04:58:43 CDT