From: CMCC <c_jackal_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 May 2006 05:51:15 -0700

Robert Martin wrote:
>No, a DBMS is a bucket of bits with some low level rules to manage
>those bits. An OO application provides the beavior that the customer
>wants to see. We can completely eliminate the DBMS and replace it with
>another of an entirely different form (non Relational for example) and
>still have all the business behavior we need.
>The people who sell databases have sold you, and the industry, a
>misconception: that the database is the heart of the system. This is
>flawed. The heart of the system is the application code. The database
>is a detail to be decided at the last possible moment and kept in a
>position so flexible that it can be swapped out for another at a whim.

No, a OO application is a bucket of bits with some low level rules to manage
those bits. An DBMS provides the beavior that the customer wants to see. We can completely eliminate the OO application and replace it with
another of an entirely different form (non OO for example) and still have all the business behavior we need.

The people who sell OO applications have sold you, and the industry, a misconception: that the OO application is the heart of the system. This is
flawed. The heart of the system is the DBMS. The OO application is a detail to be decided at the last possible moment and kept in a position so flexible that it can be swapped out for another at a whim.

Regards,
Carlos M. Calvelo Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 14:51:15 CEST

Original text of this message