Re: Poll: Expert user vs. Internals Expert

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 May 2006 05:17:54 -0700

Neo wrote:
<snip>
> > Certainly, any offering SQL, &c as query language or manipulation language don't implement the relational model.
>
> Then what data model do SQL Server and Access implement?

Good question, Neo. I await a clear, logical response.

<RM thinking>
There is only one true data model, the Relational Model. Everything that is not the RM is bad. Nothing that employs the RM exists. You cannot poke holes in RM claims by addressing any existing products, only by addressing the theory. The RM is predicate logic and set theory. So if you disagree with anything written under the heading of the RM, then you are stupid. If we write anything under the heading of the RM, then it is truth (although we may change the meaning of our terminology later if there is a need to obscure changes to our thinking while we adjust to our new understanding of the truth). We are the keepers of the truth and you either agree with us or you are the enemy and we must drive you out by whatever means in order to defend the truth.
</RM thinking>

Fortunately, the world has encountered this type of thinking before, among religious fundamentalists. Unfortunately, society has not figured out how to address it. Such fundamentalism in any religion is scary, the RM being no exception.

But, of course, I do like logic and set theory, employing such while working with non-relational databases. Cheers! --dawn Received on Fri May 26 2006 - 14:17:54 CEST

Original text of this message