Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2006 08:52:51 -0700

Nikolai Onken wrote:

> > You have not been listening. Unless you have an infinite computer,
> > you cannot create an infinite calendar.
>
> Why not? Wouldn't it depend on the requirements? As long as you don't
> need to calculate whether events overlap in the future you could make a
> calendar like
>
> datetime_start
> datetime_end
> repeat_pattern
> series_id
>
> And fill in
>
> 2005-06-12 12:00:00
> "" (never ending)
> "5" (every 5 days)
> ""

Will your software be able to use this schema to display a yearly calendar for the year

9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999?
What about the year that is that number raised to the power of that number? What about a year that has a number of digits in it that is that number times larger than all the bits of storage in the computer you're using? Because all of those numbers are very small in comparison with infinity.

You might wish to consider discontinuing the use of the word "infinite" because it has a very specific meaning that you haven't mastered yet. I suggest using a less formal term like "indefinite."

Marshall Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 17:52:51 CEST

Original text of this message