Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Nikolai Onken <nikolai.onken_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2006 00:36:46 -0700

Thanks for all the replies... Probably I really should read the book first :) since my question of how such a DB structure looks like is still out there...

> Define 'lots'.

Say you have a university with 10.000 (its a real case) students, each having 4 lessons a week 35 weeks a year - 1.400.000 records a year only for scheduling and then we also have to add tracking information for each lesson... (is that actually a lot?)

> You have not been listening. Unless you have an infinite computer,
> you cannot create an infinite calendar.

Why not? Wouldn't it depend on the requirements? As long as you don't need to calculate whether events overlap in the future you could make a calendar like

datetime_start
datetime_end
repeat_pattern
series_id

And fill in

2005-06-12 12:00:00

"" (never ending)
"5" (every 5 days)
""

and then say: today may 17th, you calculate the days between today and 2005-06-12 and then and do a days_between%5 to see whether today falls into this pattern (if days_between%5 == 0 you display the event in the calendar or not).

> Your software probably won't
> still be in use in even 10 years.

I really can't tell... at least I want to make it easy for the following developers to migrate a huge database :) Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 09:36:46 CEST

Original text of this message