Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:44:51 +0200

Nikolai Onken schrieb:
> Thanks for all the replies... Probably I really should read the book
> first :) since my question of how such a DB structure looks like is
> still out there...
>

>> Define 'lots'.

> Say you have a university with 10.000 (its a real case) students, each
> having 4 lessons a week 35 weeks a year - 1.400.000 records a year only
> for scheduling and then we also have to add tracking information for
> each lesson... (is that actually a lot?)
So, you might think of putting an index on your table. No need for partitioning or other things databases use for handling really large amounts of data.

Do you have *any* idea at all about the amount of data amazon or ebay handle each day? Or the Lufthansa booking system?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.